Experienced Family Law Attorneys For You

How does a summary dissolution for same-sex marriages and domestic partnerships work?

If you are in a same-sex marriage, you may also be domestic partners. If this is your situation, then you may qualify for a summary dissolution.

According to the Judicial Branch of California, you will need to want to end both of the legal relationships to qualify and you also need to meet the requirements for a summary dissolution. This process makes it quicker and easier for you to end both legal relationships.


A summary dissolution allows you to avoid having to go to court. Instead, you will do paperwork and submit it to a judge. The judge can then grant the dissolution without any trial or court time. Summary dissolutions are available for various relationships. If you are in a marriage and a domestic partnership, you will need to ensure you file for the correct dissolution to end both legal relationships.


To qualify for this process, you cannot own real property or rent property other than where you live, but you cannot have a lease.  You also cannot have any children and should not have debts more than $6,000, but auto loans are exempt.

Your marital and separate property must be worth less than $41,000 each. Both of you must agree to no spousal support and have an agreement to divide property.

Finally, your marriage and domestic partnership must be less than five years, and one of you must be a resident of the state for at least six months.

It is important to note that if you fail to meet the requirements for a summary dissolution, then you must get a regular divorce and dissolve your domestic partnership.



RSS Feed

FindLaw Network